Wind Chill Information
In order to help you better prepare for the severe cold weather we often get in our community, I wanted to share with you Schaumburg Christian School’s severe cold weather plan. This is the same plan that many schools and school districts in our area use. We take canceling school very seriously and make the decision on a day-to-day basis.
Wind Chill Warning
A wind chill warning indicates that life-threatening conditions and a risk to safety exist. Measures should be taken to safeguard life and property immediately. A wind chill warning is typically issued when the wind chill will be -30 degrees Fahrenheit or colder OR the actual air temperature is -15°F.
- Classes and child care will be cancelled.
- Extracurricular activities will be suspended.
- The announcement will be made by 6:00 a.m. at the latest. SCS often waits until the morning to cancel school, because the weather in the Chicagoland area is constantly changing. We wait to make the decision with the hope that we can have children in school.
- All notification systems will be leveraged to communicate school cancellations to families including phone calls, text messaging, our website home page, and by pressing “5” when calling our main switchboard 847-885-3230.
Wind Chill Advisory
A wind chill advisory is issued when conditions do not meet the wind chill warning criteria but still cause significant inconvenience. The weather during a wind chill advisory is not life-threatening but presents conditions that may result in inconveniences or pose moderate risk to safety. A wind chill advisory is typically issued when the wind chill is -20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
- School will be open. However, students will not be penalized should parents choose to keep their children home.
- Extracurricular activities may be suspended if conditions persist.
- All field trips will be cancelled.
- According to SCS policy, when the temperature or wind chill is 0 degrees or lower all outside activities will be suspended, including recess and outdoor physical education.
NOTE: The National Weather Service (NWS) will be the meteorological source SCS uses to determine and declare a wind chill warning or wind chill advisory. http://www.weather.gov.
Students Riding District 54 Buses
If your child rides a District 54 bus to school, please be sure to check the District 54 website (http://sd54.org) in the morning to see if they have school. In the event that District 54 is closed, buses will not run. If SCS is not canceled, you would need to make other arrangements to get your child to school.
I would like to remind all of you to consider now what kind of alternative child care arrangements need to be made for your children should our school be closed for inclement weather or other related emergencies.
Most importantly, remember that you, the parent or guardian, ultimately make the decision whether to send your child to school. If you do decide to keep your child home on a day in which the weather is extremely inclement, the absence will be considered excused and your child will be given every opportunity to make up missed work. Please be sure to notify the office as you would for any other day your child is absent.
EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSING SOURCES OF INFORMATION
- Phone: The SCS notification system will call the primary numbers listed for your child with a recorded message about a school cancellation.
- Text Message: The SCS notification system will contact the primary numbers listed for your child with a text message about a school cancellation.
- Website: The SCS website (www.schaumburgchristian.com) will announce a school cancellation on the homepage under the News and Events section.
- Main Switchboard: A school cancellation announcement can be heard by pressing “5” when calling the main school switchboard (847-885-3230).
Schaumburg Christian School
Posted on Tue, December 20, 2016
by Debbie Toth